Welcome to Delicate template
Header
Just another WordPress site
Header

Only Connect

April 23rd, 2014 | Posted by MDI in Only Connect!

Only connect!” wrote E.M. Forster. “That was the whole of her sermon.”

He continues–

“Only connect the prose and the passion, and both will be exalted,
And human love will be seen at its height.
Live in fragments no longer.
Only connect…”

I have loved that simple admonition for years. “Only connect.” Simple, sound, lifetime advice. When you don’t know what else to do, “only connect.”

We can connect in a multitude of ways, as our digital world continues to evolve. We connect at team meetings. In MDI, we take a stand for men connecting, for iron sharpening iron, for creating space for that to happen.

As Forster notes, we need “live in fragments no longer.”

Only connect.

Now, though, and further, here’s another meaning of connect.

Dan Kempner discovered, on our behalf, that blood, though a fluid, is technically a connective tissue, serving a “connecting” function, supporting and binding other tissues.

For us, hanging out in MDI, looking ahead to our annual blood drive, that’s like a hanging curve ball, begging to be hit over the Green Monstah of Fenway Park. Instead of connecting prose and passion, we’re connecting the connective nature of blood with our own connective natures and thereby “exalting both,” as Forster writes.

Only connect.

Submitted by Craig Jones

You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.

5 Responses

• Neal says:

Can’t wait to “connect” with that awesome feeling of knowing I’ve done something worthwhile. See ‘ya at the Blood Drive on Saturday!

• BrerBear says:

I was thinking what makes giving blood an awesome experience for me is facing that fear of being stuck together with others who maybe share the same fear, and knowing that this is a nobrainer way to defend humanity as a community. What a great way to think Global and act Local!

Another thing I love is going in to the Red Cross center and meeting somebody I never knew before who is giving and we immediately share this bond, this connection… Last time I was there in April with some of my buddies there was this guy who has given blood six times a year for the last sixteen years, can you believe it?! He was very matter of fact about it: “Nothin’ special- I just do it to give back.” I keep thinking, “Give back for what?” See you on June 18!

• Michael Brier says:

I can’t give blood because of a medical condition, but I used to. I truly admire and envy people who can because they offer critical help to another human being. What can be more important?

• Ed Harrigan says:

I gave blood for the first time in many years, I have no good reason for not just did not make the time or commitment. How ever it was pretty painless and took only about and hour.
    Felt great to give. I am going start giving more often.

• Michael Brier says:

I had no idea that two of my daughters and my daughter-in-law give blood. I recently learned this at a family party. Katy and Jody agreed that giving blood is one of the best things they do in their lives.
      Emily said that it makes her feel great about herself, no matter how she may have messed up something else in her life.
      I am going to ask my oldest daughter and my son if they give blood too.